Sophisticated fraudsters are impersonating property owners in real estate transactions, using fake ID which appears genuine. This is especially prevalent in transactions involving private mortgages. In order to mitigate this risk and help protect our subscribers and your clients, we have begun requiring ID Verification through Treefort Technologies for private mortgage deals.
There are a few private mortgage transactions where ID Verification is not required:
- The mortgage lender is a direct relative (parent, grandparent, child, sibling) of the borrower(s); or
- The subscribing lawyer on the TitlePLUS order and/or borrower(s) lawyer has acted for the borrower(s) before; or
- The subscribing lawyer on the TitlePLUS order and/or borrower(s) lawyer has known the borrower for more than two years; or
- Clear IDV searches recently conducted on Treefort, Bluink or VerifID platforms, and ordered by the TitlePLUS subscribing lawyer and/or borrower(s) lawyer.
- ID Verification is not required for TitlePLUS New Home Program policy orders or for Vendor Take Back mortgages.
If you have questions about the above please call TitlePLUS customer service at 416-598-5899 or 1-800-410-1013.
Tip: You may use the “Additional Concerns” box of your TitlePLUS order to let us know if your order falls within one or more of the exceptions to IDV and/or to include the details of the borrower(s) information.
If the borrower(s) require assistance with completing the ID Verification procedure from Treefort, please have them contact Treefort Customer Service directly at 1-866-785-0270. Assistance is available from Monday to Friday, 8:00 am to 8:00 pm.
Step-by-step instructions for Treefort’s ID Verification process are also available on Treefort’s website.